I am so excited about sharing these pictures of my finished baby blanket because I am delighted with the result.
The ripple pattern was really easy once I got started and got a few rows into it and it’s really easy to remember. Its basically in 4 stages each of 4 stitches: 4 uphill, 2 increasing to 4 over the top of the hill, 4 downhill and 4 decreasing to 2 in the valley! Simple as that (do refer to Attic 24 for the full version – you won’t get far on my shorthand alone – that’s just what I said in my head as I went along).
The blanket measures 60cm x 80cm (24 x 32 inches) and used just under 8 balls of the Patons Fairytale DK; 4 each in blue and pastel multi. I changed yarn colour every 3 rows so that the stripes weren’t too close together and so that the ends / yarn changes were not all on the same edge of the blanket, as I do find they an add a little bulk. I didn’t sew in any of the ends until I was finished so that was rather a chore, but I’m rubbish at doing things as I go along. When all the stripes were finished and the ends sewn in I felt the edges were not as smooth as I’d like so I finished all the way round with double crochet in the blue yarn. I feel this kind of tied all the stripes together too and gave it a ‘finished’ sort of look too.
It’s another month before baby Jimmy, who will receive this blanket, is due to arrive so I will wrap it up nicely and keep it carefully for him. I don’t think his Mummy reads this site, but if she does she will be in for a lovely surprise if she sees this here. I think I should make her a lovely treat too as she’s doing all the hard work, isn’t she!
Here is the finished blanket: